Thanks to the technological advancements that has led us to this point where we are able to order products as well as services digitally. Although we don’t have to worry about thieves and pick pocketers during online shipping but there are a number of aspects of online shopping for which we need to safeguard our private and financial information.
The following are 10 ways to help you stay away from fraudulence and digital theft.
- Try to avoid using your debit card. If you are shopping digitally, it is better to use your credit card, PayPal or if optional, cash on delivery, in order to pay for your products or service. This is because debit cards are associated with your bank accounts and therefore, you are more probable to higher risk of getting your accounts hacked.
- Shop at pages or websites that are secure. It is mandatory to ensure that the page or website in which you will be placing your order is authentic and protected before putting down any personal or financial information. One of the ways to verify this is to check for the “s” in “https” at the beginning of a websites’ address. The “s” in “https” indicates that the website is encrypted and that your data will be secured and vice versa. Therefore, all authentic shopping sites have the “s” for your safeguard.
- Keep your software updated. One of the easiest ways to protect your information is to keep your software updated. This is because software updates are usually released to help improve the security system and tackle new threats that are developed frequently. Therefore, even if you do have to wait for your PC or mobile phones to update, I would recommend that the updates are worth the wait.
- Beware of email scams. Make sure you do not open emails or messages from unknown people or unknown sites. This is one of the ways of sending out viruses and malwares in order to hack your information.
- Do not click on unknown links. Be very careful if someone sends you any links that contains unbelievable offers and holiday gifts and bonuses. If you are tempted by any of these offers, make sure you do your own research and try to find out if anyone has ever tried out those deals.
- Do not go public with your personal information. Some public sites, for example, banking sites or payment sites like PayPal are more susceptible when it comes to cybercrime. Therefore, it is obligatory to ensure that you log out of such site on android devices before connecting to a public network.
- Be smart about shopping apps. Although apps make your everyday life convenient, it also makes stealing your private information more convenient. Therefore, it is compulsory to download shopping apps from reliable source like the Apple or Android market. If the apps ask to access to your contacts, make sure you do not allow it. Also, check out the reviews and comments before getting those apps
- Make sure to lock your devices. Always use a password or a passcode to access your smartphone or laptops. And also, always ensure to log out of any banking site before exiting. Do not let your computer or device remember any username or password or credit card information.
Ramisa Tasnim Binti
Intern, Marketing & PR Department