Among a pool of people, the ones that you are going to recruit for your organization are the same people that you will have to work with on a regular basis! So, without any doubt, recruitment and selection are one of the most important tasks. If you are looking for a selection process for your organization, get ready to be disappointed as there is no standard that works for every organization. In this article, you will surely find things that you must know about before organizing a recruitment and selection process.
Receiving Applications and conducting Interviews is part of the recruitment process. Whereas, in the selection process, the requirements of the organization are matched with the skills of the applicants. It sounds very straightforward but it’s not an easy task as a lot depends on making the right decisions.
Why are recruitment and selection such an important task?
- Foreseeing Future Requirements: Hiring new employees itself is an expensive and time-consuming process. So, it’s ideal to hire someone who doesn’t only match the current requirements but has the potential to develop their skills for long-term employment. Therefore, it’s crucial that the HR manager thinks about the present and future requirements at the same time.
- Hiring the perfect person: It’s not an easy job to evaluate a person in a short amount of time but it has to be done right. Hiring the wrong person can not only hamper workflow but also spread tension in the entire organizational culture.
- First Impression: The recruitment and selection process is usually the first point of contact between the employee and the organization. It’s vital to send the right message to the candidates to retain the organization’s image. A just, smooth and well-managed recruitment process will certainly leave a good impression among all the applicants where or not they are selected.
Now that we have mentioned why recruitment and selection is so crucial, let’s see some steps that can be undertaken to ensure the desired outcome –
- Identify Vacancies: Identifying vacancies and the need for new employees is the right recruitment process.
- Job Specification: After identifying vacancies, it’s important to list down every single skill that will be required from the new employee. Job specifications should be as clear and straightforward as possible so that the applicants can make an informed decision.
- Job advertisement: Sending out the job advertisements as per the organization’s policy is an important task as you would surely want your job ads to reach the most people in order to be able to hire the best!
- Arranging interviews: At this point, it is not practical to interview everyone who has applied. Sorting through the applications and selecting candidates for interviews just by looking at their CV is not an easy task and should be done cautiously.
- Selection Process: The selection process completely depends on the requirements and the culture of the organization. While some opt for an interview, some organizations opt for a more rigorous selection process involving various aptitude tests, personality tests, intelligence tests, etc.
- Background Check: Even though not a lot of organizations bother to initiate a background check, depending on the type of position and job the employee would be given, and the confidentiality of the data that will be handled by the new recruit, it might be an essential step for some organizations.
While every organization develops its own Recruitment and Selection process from the very beginning, it’s important to update its methods every once in a while. The same methods that worked this year, may not work in the future. So, it’s important to stay up to date with the new processes and methods and make smart choices as a lot depends on this one decision!
you can read more blogs by clicking here
Aroly Ashraf Niasa
Admin & HR Department Intern