We all are living in a time where we cannot think of our life without the help of social media. It has become a part of our daily routine. In everyday life from home to the outdoor, in every phase, we are dependent on it. It has changed our lives and now, we can complete our day-to-day tasks more efficiently and quickly. But with the good side of social media, there are also many bad sides to it. Many of us are giving our time more than necessary. Which is now leading us to addiction!
Social media like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, etc are here for building networks and connections with our friends and family. It is a platform where we can share our life events and activities with the world. And besides, we can follow the activities of our favourite person. There are some positive things in social media like
- Getting important news
- Emergency Blood Donation
- Someone in danger or trouble
- Finding out your friends
- Getting important suggestions
As social media is a part of our life, many of us are suffering in using social media correctly. We are not focusing on our real-life events, relationship and sometimes we forget our daily works and responsibilities as well. This can lead to addiction where you cannot escape yourself from the ongoing activities on social media. That’s why the scientist named it “Social Media Addiction” which is quite similar to the addiction to drugs and alcohol.
In social media, we have seen the recent rise in depression as well.
With the coming of social media, many of us especially the young ones are more prone to anxiety. There are many reasons like
- Inappropriate comments on your photo or post can lead to bully or harassment.
- Judging the opinion of others can lead to more pressure of pleasing others than themselves
- Getting low engagement in post or photo can lead to depression
- Comparing oneself with others can destroy self-confidence
- Wrong information can sometimes mislead to fighting and hating one another.
- Nonstop entertainment can waste our valuable time
- Less real-life interaction and friends
We cannot stay without social media and at the same time, we cannot deny the bad sides of it. We need to know more about this and with developed Artificial Intelligence, it’s getting more addictive and uncontrollable. Here some of the things we can do to get out of this trap
- Limit your time to 30 minutes a day on social media
- Be disciplined while using it, don’t waste your time on unnecessary things
- Try to be more specific while using social media
- Increase offline interactions and friends
- Try to be productive by giving time to your hobby or learning new things
- Check carefully before you post or comment on social media
- Don’t take the opinions of others too seriously, be yourself
- Build a strong network with successful leader and mentors
There are many ways we can overcome this problem. And this problem of social media-dependent can be easily removed if we are more conscious about ourselves. We can learn more about emotional intelligence and take control of our life. So that, we can use social media in the way it was meant to be used.
You can see our others blogs by clicking here.
Khandker Junayet Alam
Intern, Marketing & PR – YSSE